Monday, January 13, 2014

An Artist's Moral Obligation



Eminem's new album The Marshal Mathers LP 2 dropped a while back, but still remains the second most popular Hip-Hop album on iTunes. Personally, I've just started getting into it now. One thing I noticed is that while the rest of the Hip-Hop industry seems to be moving away from gay-bashing Eminem continues to use the same offensive gay slurs. While gay slurs can be found throughout the album the song in which they are most prominent is the song "Rap God". For example in the first verse of the song Eminem says, "I'll still be able to break a mothafu**in' table over the back of a couple of fa**ots and crack it in half". I know that that type of hate speech would get any student at my school expelled and yet this song is eighth on itunes' Hip-Hop charts. 

The question I would like you to consider is, is it ok that Eminem continues to use gay slurs in his music?

I would answer this with a most definite NO. Some people say that it's ok because Eminem is offensive towards many other people as well, and that it's just his style. Others argue that it's allowed because he actually supports gay marriage (which he does). People even say that it's fine because it's only his rap persona Slim Shady saying the offensive lyrics. 

In my opinion, all of these arguments are completely invalid. Why? Well, because the average kid listening to the song isn't aware of all that. All he hears is the offensive words being said by one of his favorite artists, and whether it be conscious or unconscious, big or small, those words will have an affect on that kid, and it wont be a good one. Hearing the words gay (having a negative connotation) or f** then makes it more likely that kids will use those words when talking with their friends, insulting someone, or worst of all, bullying someone who is actually LGBQ. Clearly, this song can only have a negative effect on the minds of our youth and can only bring more misery and bullying to LGBQ kids. 

If you are doubting the effect of music on America's youth, then I hope this brief clip will be able to change your mind. (Read the beginning, and then scrub to 5:06)


I just happened to stumble upon this video while gathering research for this post, and I think it is an amazing example of what a positive influence music can have on people. For those of you that don't know, Troy (the thirteen year old in the blue shirt) is referencing Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' song "Same Love". It's an extremely powerful song and I strongly suggest you hit that link and listen to it, so that you can hear what a positive influence sounds like. 

Whether they realize it or not, artists have a huge influence on people's minds. It's because of this that I believe they have the responsibility to make that influence a positive one.

8 comments:

Ben W. said...

I've often thought about the arguments that you present in this blog post, and my opinion is constantly changing on this important (but often overlooked) issue. I think you make a very strong point when saying that many people (kids in particular) are not educated enough about Eminem's personal views to understand that he does not truly support the gay-slurs that he uses. A similar case I immediately think of when homophobia in rap is mentioned is that of Tyler, The Creator and his group Odd Future. These kids (literally, Tyler is 22) have been known to use countless gay-slurs in their music, which has angered LGBQ supporters in multiple instances. However, in interviews, Tyler explains that people should not take what he says seriously, and that two fellow members of Odd Future are actually gay. Although it's clear to me that he truly has nothing against the LGBQ community, I'm sure many people will continue to take his lyrics very seriously. It's instances like these where I think homophobic lyricism can have very negative effects.

However, I think it'll still be some time before gay-slurs in music will become a thing of the past. Until then, the best we can do (assuming we do in fact want homophobic lyricism to disappear) is not support the artists who are using gay-slurs, and spread awareness of it's constant presence. Because, unfortunately, let's face it: any album with the name Eminem on it, LGBQ- friendly or not, will still top the charts.

Erik Liederbach said...

I think you make a great point. Thanks for offering something that listeners, who disagree with using gay-slurs in music, can do. I actually have somewhat unintentionally carried this idea out. Because while I may have listened to Eminem's new album, I certainly didn't pay for it. I think the issue you bring up directly relates to a great post you had about supporting artists and spotify. The link to Ben's blog that expands on this topic is posted below.

http://everythinginreturn.blogspot.com/2013/12/spotify-great-for-listeners-but-what.html

Billy M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Billy M said...

I think line from the song Rap God that you referenced expands on this topic:


You get too big and here they come trying to censor you like that one line
I said on "I'm Back" from the Mathers LP one when I tried to say
"I'll take seven kids from Columbine
Put 'em all in a line, add an AK-47, a revolver and a nine"
See if I get away with it now that I ain't as big as I was

He's saying that when he said that line about Columbine in 2004, everyone freaked out and said he took it too far. Now if he brings it up in his song and it's not all over the news, he isn't as big of a deal as he used to be, and his lyrics aren't taken so seriously. As for my opinion, I usually stick by the fact that if you can't make fun of one group of people, you can't make fun of any of them. I don't really think Eminem is homophobic when he says fag, or has no sympathy for the victims of Columbine, he just does it to show there is nothing he won't rap about.

PDF said...

http://howtoamericanstudies.blogspot.com/2014/01/free-speech-vs-hate-speech.html

Erik Liederbach said...

Billy, nice analyzation of the song, and I agree that Eminem isn't homophobic. But that doesn't mean I think it's OK for him to include gay slurs in his music because they can only cause more homophobia or make those who are already homophobic feel justified in their prejudice, and our country certainly doesn't need that.

S. Bolos said...

E-rock,

This is a tough one, and is certainly a generative topic you highlighted, by the looks at the comments from Ben and Billy.

I am really drawn to Billy's comments, especially. Is Eminem trying to revisit the success of an older album because not as many people pay attention to him? This could be explored further.

Erik's point about the negative influence on children is certainly relevant but I wonder if Erik is advocating censorship?

Erik Liederbach said...

Thanks for the feedback Mr. B. I would actually say that yes, I am advocating censorship in a sense. Not necessarily legal censorship though. Rather, I'm advocating self-censorship based on your morals. It's the same reason why you and I don't go around saying gay/racial slurs; we know that it's simply the wrong thing to do. Why should artists who reach the minds of millions of people be an exception? I just think that people, specifically popular artists, should fully realize the impact they have on people's opinions, specifically kids. Therefore, they have a moral obligation to censor some of what they say to impact the world in a positive way. For example, Eminem says he is in support of gay marriage, but how much is that worth if he uses gay-slurs that then contribute to hate towards gays? Of all people Eminem should understand the power of words, and therefore, he shouldn't use words that can only contribute to hatred.